January 27th Newsletter
I hope this email finds you well. We have a lot going on this week. Much of the "to do" written below is important for the start of the week...recommend reading it over tonight.
- Thank you for completing the Water Conservation Garden permission slip last week. If you haven't yet done so, please send in payment ($17.50) on Monday.
- This week's weekly homework packet consists of spelling and a growth mindset activity. Students will be given a spelling pretest on Monday. Spelling words to study will be created from this pretest and all students will be retested on the spelling words from Monday's pretest at the end of the week. Depending on the pretest, your child may have anywhere from 0 to 12 words to study throughout the week. The other homework assignment is a growth mindset activity, and we will need your help with this one. Students will conduct an interview with you at home to learn of a time when you experienced failure. This can be challenging if put on the spot, so I wanted to give you a heads up. The purpose of this interview is for students to learn that failure/mistakes are a part of success/learning; we are able to learn and grow through mistakes and setbacks. We'll be having many conversations and lessons in class over the next few weeks about growth mindset and the importance of taking risks to learn, grow, and reach our potential.
- I look forward to seeing the kids at the Spaghetti Dinner on Monday. Students should arrive at 5pm. They will be served dinner at 5pm before getting to work. Students can complete a community service form to count these hours towards the 6 required service hours this school year. I encourage students to fill one out and turn it in even if they've already met the requirement so we can recognize all of their contributions and community participation.
- We'll also be running a bake sale on Monday night. Like the parade bake sale in December, we'll be accepting donations for our baked goods to provide running water to a family of the Navajo Nation. Your child wrote what they'd like to bring to the bake sale in his/her planner on Friday, but you are welcome to make changes. You can send the goodies in with your child on morning morning or drop it off at pick-up, whatever's easiest.
- Click HERE to sign-up for Student-led Conferences on February 6th.
- The school GeoBee will be in Hinde Hall this Thursday at 12:45pm. 5th and 6th will get together this Monday for the qualifying round. I'll email families of the students who qualify after school on Monday. We'd love you to join us on Thursday if you're able.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST WEEK
Aquifer Models and Drilling a Well in Science
Crazy Hair and Socks
OVERVIEW OF THIS WEEK'S CLASS TOPICS
School Wide Events
Thursday, June 4th TALENT SHOW @ 12:45PM
Talent Show at 12:45 - 2:30pm
Congratulations to our Class of 2020 6th Graders! Dismissal after graduation - NO AFTER CARE.